Friday, March 25, 2016

All-Time Favorite Books

A few years ago I made a New Year's resolution to read one book each month. The first year I had to put forth (a major) effort to make sure I hit 12 books by the end of December. Now, reading has become apart of my routine and the moment I finish one book I'm on to the next. 

I think this will be a record-breaking year (one benefit of limited mobility the past 6 weeks). Recently I realized, with all this reading, there are a few books which have set the bar and made it very difficult to add anything new to the 'Top Reads' section of this blog.

You may notice a theme with these books... a personal storyline set in historic times. FYI I'm slightly obsessed with WWII.
1 | Euphoria is set in the 1930's and is loosely based on the life of Margaret Mead. It tells the story of travel, love, and tragedy in a page-turning storyline. It takes about 30 pages to really get into it and figure out what's going on. Don't give up on it.

2 | All The Light We Cannot See is a novel about WWII from the prospective of a young French girl and a German orphan boy. The protagonist's individual stories are captivating, but when their paths converge this book cannot be put down.  

3 | The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was given to me by my mother-in-law and it she really nailed it with this one. It takes place on Guernsey Island during the German occupation and follows the lives of the most endearing characters.

And for the other end of the spectrum. Here are a few hyped-up books I found disappointing...

No comments:

Post a Comment