Friday, June 23, 2017

Mother Load

I finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight. It feels great, but I still have a lot of toning to do. 

My goal was to fit in my regular pants by the time I returned to work. I went back at 14-weeks postpartum and (thankfully) I did not have to buy new pants🙌 I've been tracking my weight loss and postpartum milestones in my journal because I knew I would be curious about this in the future. It's also been a good source of motivation. There's nothing worse than writing down the same weight two weeks in a row. 

I gained 37 lbs. during my pregnancy. I lost 17 lbs. within the first week. I was feeling pretty good, but then the weight loss halted. It didn't just melt away with nursing like I was hoping. Diet and exercise were crucial to my weight loss. 

I did my first workout at 17-days postpartum. It was just an arm circuit, but it felt great. The next day I felt ready for cardio - 2 miles on the elliptical. I worked out 3 times a week (walking, elliptical, circuits) until week 5.

We went to California week 4-5. I felt disgusting. I was wearing shorts and swimsuits and that was all the motivation I needed. I did my first postpartum run in San Diego. I ran 2 miles and it felt incredible! I was very sore afterwards, but the best kind of sore. I worked out every day from that point until my hip surgery (week 10). I used the Kayla Itsine's Bikini Body Guide for circuits 3 days a week and I ran the other 4 days of the week. 

In addition to my exercise regimen, I was very strict with my diet. I kept a food journal, tracked my water intake, and started cooking. I focused on incorporating whole-grain carbs, lean protein and healthy fats... it's been a lot of oatmeal, avocado toast, salmon, chicken, eggs, quinoa, salads, sweet potatoes, berries, and protein shakes. 

Since having hip surgery at 10-weeks postpartum the only workouts I've been able to do are walking, arms, and abs. I feel like I've lost a lot of muscle, but I've been warned (numerous times) by my ortho to take it slow. I'm desperate to go for a run again😩 For now, I continue to focus on my diet -"eat lean and clean" is my new mantra.  

Here's how the weight came off...
Here are some of favorite things to eat...
Overnight oats - 1/2 C oats, 1/2 C coconut milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 banana, cinnamon, maple syrup and fruit on top
Avocado, egg, sriracha on whole-grain toast
Protein shake - ice, coconut milk, one scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1tbsp chia seeds, 1 banana
Roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers 
Favorite on-the-go snacks are kombucha, snapea crisps, Larabars, almonds, tuna packets

No comments:

Post a Comment